see the world

Click here to expand World Map   World Map
World » Europe » England » Table of contents


Flag of England

Table of contents

Visa's (embassies and consulates) for the UK

If you have a European passport, you do not require a visa to enter the U.K. You may also work and live in the U.K. without any trouble.

If you are a citizen of the Commonwealth and ages 17 - 27 you may receive a work visa for up to two years. If your father was born in the U.K. you may apply for a British passport. If your mother was born in the U.K. you may be eligible for a Certificate of Entailment or Right to Abode. This entitles you to live in the U.K. without immigration control. The rules have changed for your mother being born in the UK, so it's best to contact the nearest British Embassy or Consulate near you. If you have a grandparent born in the U.K. you may qualify for U.K. Ancestry Employment Certificate. This entitles you to work and live in the U.K. for up to five years. Your grandparent must be born before 31 March 1922 to qualify. You may contact any U.K. Embassy around the world for any questions or forms you might need. I have provided the addresses for the High Commissions in Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. They should be able to help you get the right information you will need to obtain your working holiday visa.

If you are from the U.S. and a student that is 18 or older you may qualify for a six month visa. There is a fee to receive your six month visa. The fee prices are always changing, but you can obtain information from the Council on International Educational Exchange.

As visa requirements for the UK can change we recommend you check the nearest British Embassy near you for the latest and up-to-date information on visas.


Foreign Embassies and Consulates in Britain

Canadian High Commission
Immigration division: 38 Grosvenor Street, London W1K 4AA, UK
Tel: (020) 7258 6600
Fax: (020) 7258 6506
Website: or

Cultural section: Canada House, 5 Pall Mall East, Trafalgar Square, London
Tel: (020) 7258 6600
Fax: (020) 7258 6434


Canadian Consulate
Burness, 50 Lothian Rd. Festival Square, Edinburgh, Scotland
Tel: (0131) 473 – 6320
Fax: (0131) 473 - 6321
E-mail –


Australian Embassy in the U.K.
Australian High Commission, Australia House, the Strand, London
Telephone: (020) 7379 4334 
Fax: (020) 7240 5333  


Australian Consulate
37 George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland
Tel: (0131) 624 3333

There are currently two Consulates in the U.K. and they are located in Manchester, and Edinburgh Scotland.


Embassy of the United States of America
24 Grosvenor Square, London W1A 1AE, UK
Tel: (020) 7499 9000
Fax: (020) 7495 5012


U.S.A. Consulate
3 Regent Terrace, Edinburgh, Scotland
Tel: (0131) 556 - 8315

There are two American Consulates in Britain and they are located in Belfast and Edinburgh.


New Zealand High Commission
New Zealand House, Haymarket, London, England
Tel: (020) 7930 8422


UK Visas
Foreign and Commonwealth Office, King Charles Street, London SW1A 2AH
Tel: (020) 7008 8434
Fax (020) 7008 8359





British Embassies and Consulates abroad

British High Commission

80 Elgin Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K7, Canada
Tel: (613) 237 2008
Fax: (613) 237 2533
There are currently three British Consulates in Canada and they are located in Montréal, Toronto and Vancouver.


British High Commission
Commonwealth Ave, Yarralumla, Canberra, ACT
Tel: (02) 6270 6666
Fax: (02) 6273 3236

There are currently six British Consulates in Australia and they are located in Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Adelaide, Melbourne, and Perth.


British High Commission in N.Z.
44 Hill Street Wellington 1, New Zealand
Tel: (04) 472 - 6049


British Embassy
3100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20008, USA
Tel: (202) 588 6500
Fax: (202) 588 7870

There are eight British Consulates in the USA and they are located in Atlanta, Cambridge, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Seattle.





Comments and Suggestions:

Underground Imports
en  es  pl  fr  de  it